Monday, February 18, 2008

Thanks so much Millie!!

When we were in Pensacola at Thanksgiving, Millie made a pot of beans for us one evening. I thought they were navy beans but were a bit bigger. Millie said they were Great Northerns. They were really good and Greg said he really liked them. So several weeks ago, I bought a couple of bags and knew I had a frozen ham bone from a spiral ham that we had at Christmas. I soaked the beans last night and since I was home today, I figured I could check on them. I threw the soaked beans, ham bone, chopped onion, and some chopped celery plus some water in the crock pot on high at about 8AM this morning. A little after noon, I checked them and they were pretty much done. At that point, I threw in some spices, pepper, and took the ham off the bone and put it back in the beans. I turned the crock pot off about 2:00 PM as the beans were done, and made a pan of cornbread. At dinner tonight, Greg pledged his undying love to me for cooking these beans!! He said he had been wanting them for a long, long time because he remembered that his mom used to cook them when he was at home but he never knew what kind of beans they were. Then Morgan comes home later, after having eaten a bowl of beans before she left the house, and she bragged about them as well. So, I was a hit!! Thanks Millie for telling me about Great Northerns!!!

6 comments:

Jess said...

This is one of my favorites!!

Kristy said...

They were a staple growing up.

Kellys said...

Hmmmm.......my only encounter with dried beans has been pinto beans. And then, of course, black eyed peas for New Year's. Maybe the part of the country we live in has something to do with it. These Northern beans were very good and I will definitely make them again!! I do think that part of why they were so good was because of the smoked ham. The next time will tell......pk

ashley said...

Yum, this sounds so good but if I did this my husband would not pledge his love for me but instead leave me. I guess we'll just have beef stroganoff...again.

Lorie said...

I loved these as well, and yes, they were a staple growing up. My guess is because they were cheap. Sometimes cornbread, and sometimes homemade bread. Yumm!!

Lesley said...

These look so good. We had these a lot growing up, too. I fix them occasionally, and even the kids like them. Of course, the cornbread is their favorite part of the meal. This has given me a craving...think I'll add it to my grocery list!