Thursday, March 06, 2008

Taco Soup

Since I ALWAYS plan ahead, and since I was going to give the weatherman the benefit of the doubt, I thawed a pound of ground turkey overnight and browned it this morning before I left for work, putting the turkey and the rest of the ingredients in the crockpot on low and leaving it for the day. Little did I know that my freezing husband would come home and have some soup for lunch. But there was still plenty for us tonight. I made a pan of cornbread to go with it and we were warmed from the chill....
It is really simple to make, everything but the turkey being canned vegetables. I couldn't find where I had posted the recipe before so will add it to the end.
Also in my knack of planning ahead, I stopped at the store on the way home and bought Mountain Dew, to make Pioneer Woman's Apple Dumplings. They were baking while we ate supper.
I didn't move fast enough to get a picture of our bowls with dumplings and ice cream......
CROCKPOT TACO SOUP

1 lb lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans
1 can (11-15 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 (28 oz) can tomatoes
1 sm can chopped green chilis (chile peppers) (4 oz)
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans
1 envelope Hidden Valley Ranch dressing

Brown ground beef; drain. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Simmer in slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours. Serve with tortilla chips or Mexican cornbread.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Both look great right now!! We have had quite a few inches of snow already and they are calling for us to have a grand total of 10-15 before the weekend is over. The soup and those apple dumplings look great!!

Just out of curiosity, what did you think of PW's dumplings?

Kellys said...

They were ok. Warm with vanilla ice cream they were nice. Morgan raved about them when she came in. My apples were a little small for the crescent dough. Next time I will buy the biggest granny smith's I can find because it seemed to be mostly sugar and dough. I like apples a lot!!

pk

Jess said...

That is good info for when I attempt to make them. I tried her chocolate pie and it was WAY WAY too sweet for me! I thought at first it might just be me but I had some other people try it and they agreed it was just too sweet.
So...FYI...if you ever decide to make it, cut the sugar quantity.