Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Have you had your black eyed peas today?

We had them for lunch. I never know quite how they are going to turn out. This time they were rather tasty. But could I reproduce them? Maybe not. I was grabbing different spices to add at the end, i.e. cajun seasoning, seasoned salt, Julio's seasoning. They did hit the spot. I also did something that I haven't done since they told us it was bad for our health to do. I FRIED pork chops. Yep, I can't remember the last time a meat in this house wasn't grilled. But it is hard to make homemade gravy when you grill. We had pork chops, gravy, rice for the gravy, black eyed peas and cornbread. If that don't tighten your clutch, nothing will.......

And I have been told by my mother, and probably her mother before her, that the peas MUST be cooked from dried, not from a can. I guess the "luck" is different????? Brandon and Jeremy were never very fond of black eyed peas. But Jeremy would always eat just "one" to pacify me. I am not sure who will force them to eat them now........

No comments: